Which items will add value to your home and help with resale when the time comes to sell?
The answer is: “Only the ones that future buyers will also want and be willing to pay for.”
As a general rule, choosing the functional over the merely cosmetic and choosing neutral over unusual or exotic will pay at resale. Taste and current trends can also affect the value of an update. Unusual colors have a limited appeal.
Which updates will add the most value to your home? Please reach out to us first because we have saved our clients a ton of money reviewing which upgrades will bring the most return to your sale.
- Update your kitchen and/or bathrooms. Whether you need a minor or major remodel, updating the kitchen or bathrooms in your home will yield a high return on investment. Stay timeless with your updates, but also pay attention to trends.
- Increase usable space. Add an extra bathroom, upgrade or expand your kitchen and/or master bedroom suite, add more closet space, or convert an unused space to a more functional space, like a spare bedroom to a home office or basement into the ultimate hangout space.
- Deep Clean: For most of our sellers, we offer a deep cleaning prior to getting your home on the market when you sell.
- Lighten and brighten your rooms. Paint rooms white or with a light color paint to neurtalize your space. Add skylights, windows, or French doors.
- Revamp the exterior. Updated landscaping will draw in buyers before they even walk through the door. Keep your shrubs, trees, and grass trimmed and tidy. Add a splash of color with vibrant plants or by painting the front door an eye-catching color. Consider a focal point like a flagstone walkway or a water feature.
- Staging: Whether you have a vacant house and need staging (provided by us in most home sales) or your home is furnished, it is very important to use the furniture that you have to stage your home in a way that will appeal to a future buyer. This is very important for photography AND for in person/virtual tours to look clean and as least distracting as possible. See below for an example of a virtual tour that exemplies removing clutter from the area when preparing to list your house.